Friday, April 26, 2019

I will never get the time back I spent reading this one

I love middle grade fiction, but Tony Abbott's autobiographical historical fiction, Lunch-Box Dream, was truly awful.

The blurb made it seem like it was about visiting Civil War battlefields during the days of Jim Crow in the south. I suppose that's partially true.

The language of the book was horrible. The main characters were racist and showed no personal growth at all. And the story of the black family was so sparse to the point that it made no sense.

The main character, Bobby, isn't a nice kid. He knows he's not a nice kid. His brother had health issues. His grandmother had escaped Europe (but timing-wise could not have been a Holocaust survivor). His parents always fought. Did we need all these subplots that never got developed?

I'm not sure where I read about this and why I requested it. But my advice... don't bother with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment