Monday, June 17, 2019

The Orphan's Tale

I can't recall where I first heard about The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff. But it immediately made me think about Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants. The only similarities between the books are the settings, the circus, and the time period. I think. Both stories took place in the past. There the similarities end. What I liked best about Water for Elephants was that it was different. The same holds true for The Orphan's Tale.

The Orphan's Tale is the story of two strong women who are forced to work together in a traveling circus during World War II. There is no love lost between the two of them at the start. But over time, they become the family that each one of them has lost. It is based on a real circumstance. That of traveling circuses hiring Jews as circus performers as a way to protect them.

This is a book that I would definitely recommend to anyone who feels like can handle one more book about the Holocaust.

No comments:

Post a Comment