Saturday, October 29, 2022

My Name is Lucy Barton


Years ago, I read Amy and Isabelle, Elizabeth Strout's debut novel. That was in the days before I kept really good records of what I'd read. (Can you imagine if I first started keeping track of what I read back when I first started reading?) That means I remember enjoying the novel, but can't remember too much about it. Now that I've read My Name is Lucy Barton, I can't believe that I don't remember her spare, kind of stream-of-consciousness writing style.

My Name is Lucy Barton is the first novel in what is now a series of 4 where Lucy Barton, a woman raised in poverty somewhere in Illinois, is featured. Lucy is hospitalized and her mother, whom she hasn't seen in a long time comes to sit with Lucy in the hospital at the request of Lucy's husband, William. Lucy and her mother share conversations about people they knew in common when Lucy was growing up. Learning about these other people, we also learn more about Lucy and her upbringing.

I can see why this novel wouldn't be for everyone but I enjoyed it a lot. And was surprised by how quickly I read it - and by how short it was. My copy of the e-book ended with an excerpt to Anything is Possible which I downloaded almost immediately after finding him Lucy Barton.

No comments:

Post a Comment