Wednesday, April 27, 2016

We can change your mind!

I'm just back from Books and Beer Club. Attendance was small but we had a great meeting. Tonight we discussed Jane Austen's Persuasion. Of the seven of us at the meeting, six of us gave the book a thumbs up. And one gave a sidewise thumb. The language was tedious, there were too many characters, it was too difficult to get into. "But I really liked the story."

Our fearless leader, Wendy, is a huge Jane Austen fan. I'd only ever read Pride and Prejudice before. I'm not sure of the Austen history of the rest of the members. You can read my review of Persuasion here. Those were the views I shared with the group. There was a lot of agreement amongst the readers and some small differences of opinion.

As the meeting was coming to a close, our dissenter said, "You know what. I think I can switch to a thumbs up. After discussing the book with you all, I realize how much I really did like it."

A few of the members planned to read more Austen. I'm not sure how quickly I'll pick up another book. Too many books, too little time! 

Next month we'll be reading mystery. Three of us met for dinner before the book club meeting and started talking about what book to suggest for next month. We realized that none of us had read any Agatha Christie. So... for May we'll be reading Murder on the Orient Express. If you've read the book or seen the movie, please don't spoil it for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment