Thursday, December 15, 2016

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

I have been remiss in not posting while reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander #6) by Diana Gabaldon. It seems like I started the book months ago, then had the problems with Overdrive, then while I was waiting for the e-book to become available again, I had book club books to read. But finally had a good long reading session yesterday and finished Book #6.

You may or may not recall that after Book #5, I felt as though I was at a good point in the series to take a break and get some other reading done. I kind of knew what might happen next, just not what it might mean. Well, after the conclusion of Book #6, I immediately went in search of Book #7. I really, really, really want to know what happens next! I'm not at a good breaking point at all!

I can't really tell you what the book is about since I can't really recall where book #6 started. The bulk of the book was about the days leading up to the American Revolution. What was especially interesting to me is that most of the American Revolution history that I already knew was related to New York, New Jersey or Pennsylvania. I'll even admit that I never really gave much a thought to what was going on in North Carolina before or during the early days of our country. (In my little teeny mind, prior to reading this book, North Carolina didn't become a player until the days leading up to the Civil War. Have I mentioned that I love a book where I learn something new?)

I also won't tell you what happens at the end of the book, the type of cliffhanger I'm now left with. That would be a spoiler and I'm determined not to include spoilers when reviewing or writing about books. Suffice to say, it's a major cliffhanger and I can't wait to see what comes next. I'm #3 on a waitlist for the e-book.

That should give me a little time to get some other reading done while I wait.



Who I recommend this book to? Anyone who is hooked on the Outlander series!

Last night I started the January Books & Beer Club pick - The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien, another classic that I've never read. Fantasy is not my cup of tea so I wasn't even sure if I would take the time to read this one. So far, it's not quite what I expected. I'm not sure what I expected. And it's a much quicker read than I imagined it would be. Stay tuned for my review.


Last week, for the first time in quite awhile, I got to spend some time browsing at Barnes & Noble. I got to touch, feel, smell, and flip thru actual brand new books. It was a complete sensory experience for me. Most of what I read now is on my iPad with the random print library book thrown in. I think I could have been just as happy parking myself on one of their chairs to read as I would have been to bring a collection of brand new books home. It reinforced the notion that I think I could be very happy working in a book store. I think...

Not quite finished with my this and that, in between whatever library books I might read, I'm working as a critique partner for an author friend of mine. She's tackling a new genre for her and I'm not really sure what to expect. That will be one bit of reading I won't be able to post about when I'm finished. Someday...

Finally, in January my community book club is meeting to share recommended titles. We share titles of books that we think would work well for the book club. We also share titles of books we think fellow members would enjoy reading on his or her own. If you have any titles that you'd recommend, please share with an indication of whether it's got enough meat to be a book club read. Thanks!

In the meantime, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment