Monday, September 11, 2017

No concentration for reading

Reading is my comfort. My escape from the real world. Until it's not...

During the wait for Hurricane Irma to arrive, I never even thought to pick up a book. We had power... and I wasn't sure for how long. I figured I'd stay glued to the TV as long as I could. Plus, I'm still reading Beloved on my iPad which I'm kind of struggling with. (The language makes reading slow and the content is brutal so I can only read in small doses.) Didn't want to waste iPad power if we were going to lose power eventually. (We never did lose power.) Additionally, I had too much nervous energy so when I wasn't just sitting on my chair staring at the TV, I was going around the house tweaking our pre-storm preparations.

We certainly dodged a bullet. We never lost power. Never lost water. Only had minor damage in our yard.

Hurricane Irma came ashore for the second time on Marco Island as a Category 4 storm. And it was heading straight towards us. Was downgraded to a 3, still heading straight towards us. Then it jogged a little to the east and was expected to be downgraded to a Category 2. Then it turned west again, heading straight towards us. It was still being categorized as a Category 2... but came in over us with wind gusts in the Cat 1 range. All along, our local meteorologist was saying categories don't matter. That Irma is a big bad storm.

The wind and rain were battering last night. I couldn't sleep... nor could I read. Exhausted today, with warnings to stay off the road and too exhausted to undo my hurricane prep, I managed to lie down for a nap, still couldn't sleep but was able to read.

Two more storms are in the Atlantic. Hurricane Jose looks a little like he doesn't know what he's doing. And Lee... you don't really want to be a hurricane, do you? I just want to be able to read in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment