Monday, December 11, 2017

I'm not a rereader

There are just too many books that I want to read to take the time to read over almost any book. Even if it's a book that I liked and I'm going to a book club meeting - tomorrow - and would like to sound intelligent discussing it.

Tomorrow my community book club will be talking about Jodi Picoult's 22nd book, The Storyteller. Until I started googling to find discussion questions to bring along, all I remembered was what I'd written in my goodreads review over 4 years ago: it's a grizzly Holocaust tale; and it's a story within a story within a story. At the moment, I can only remember two of the stories. Maybe if I spend time reading the reviews of others, the third one will come back to me.  

Not that it's really important. Most of those who have RSVPed yes to the meeting invite also read the book shortly after it came out and have only vague recollections of the book. I guess we will muddle through together. It sure doesn't help matters that the woman who suggested the title and agreed to lead the discussion has since dropped out of the book club!

I'll try to post an update on Wednesday letting you know how this book club meeting goes. 

Wednesday:
We had a very low turnout at the meeting yesterday. I'm really not sure why. Craziness of the holiday time?


Of the four of us who attended the meeting, three of us had read this book quite awhile ago. One of us finished the book earlier that morning. We relied on her telling us what we couldn't remember. As usual, we went off topic, talking about Holocaust in general, making personal and literary connections to The Storyteller. We also spent a bit of time talking about Jodi Picoult, the author.

It was a good meeting despite the few members participating. It would have been a great meeting had we had a slightly larger crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment