Thursday, January 18, 2018

Bear with me. Eventually I'll get back into the swing of things.

I participate in a bunch of photo groups on Facebook. The prompt for one of my groups one day last week was what I'm reading.

For the first time in a really, really long time, I'm not reading anything. Don't faint. It happens to the best of us. At least I'm trying to convince myself of that.

I came home from New York fully immersed, finally, in Les Miserables. I was certain I'd have the book finished in time for book club.

The first weekend in January I thought about popping on here to let you all know that I was reading the book, giving you some stats for 2017. What I read, what I most liked, that sort of thing. I ending up being busy and never got around to it.

Then Monday was kind of life changing. I took a tumble in the parking lot of the library, walking back to the car. I face planted, suffering damage to my face. My eye swelled shut. And I haven't had the ... whatever ... to sit down and read more than a quick newspaper article since then. I broke the orbital floor under my right eye. It took only a few days for my eye to not be swollen shut but the area is still swollen, bruised and numb. I've watched a lot of TV but haven't felt like reading.

I also injured my right hand. I suppose I was trying to break my fall. For the first few days, I couldn't hold a pencil, hold a fork properly, type on the computer. That was getting gradually better. I went for an x-ray on Monday to make sure I hadn't broken anything in my hand. Once I got the good news that there was no fracture, I must have overdone things. My hand hurts a lot this afternoon and I'm just about done typing.

My two other hobbies are photography and drawing. Thank heavens for cell phone photography as I have a DSLR with a viewfinder and with my right eye out of commission, that just doesn't work. I also try to draw everyday. On days when my hand hurts, I don't draw. On days when my hand feels pretty good, I might draw a little more.

Eventually I'll feel up to reflecting on my year as a reader 2017. And I'll get back to reading and reviewing.

Right now, though, I'll share some of my favorite drawings and photos in two separate posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment