Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Update on my readerly life

After only reading once in a blue moon in January (how appropriate, right?), I realized towards the end of the month that I was never going to finish Les Miserables so I spent the two nights before Books & Beer reading the Sparknotes. Which was very helpful in discussing the book - and in watching the Liam Neeson from 20 years ago.

Once I made the decision that I wasn't going to attempt to continue with the book but I was ready to ease back into reading after my fall, I picked up Maeve Binchy's Chestnut Street, a collection of short stories. I was able to read a short story a night. Until Books and Beer Club picked the February title, The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. It's slow reading for me. And at about a little more than a third of the way thru with  the book, I believe it's going to be the type of book that I sort of slog through, but that I'm very anxious to discuss with the book club. It's got so many talking points, even though a lot of the details of the book don't interest me at all. The big ideas intrigue me.

That was the case with Barkskins by Annie Proulx which my community book club got to discuss yesterday. I'll write a separate post about the book club discussion later in the week.

During the days when I wasn't reading Les Miserable and was reading Chestnut Street, I requested quite a few ebooks from the library. As should have been expected, 3 of them came in in the past 2 days. All 3 of them hold more appeal to me than The River of Doubt, but because of how much I am looking forward to discussing Roosevelt's expedition thru the Amazon, I really do need to focus on finishing that book.

So that's where I am. It's pretty distressing to think that February is half over and I haven't finished a single book. I finally set a total number of books on the goodreads reading challenge for 2018. I unrealistically set my goal at 32 books. Last year my goal was 36 books, 3 per month. So based on that, I subtracted 3 for the books I didn't read in January... hoping that even though I've yet to finish a book that I can finish 2 books in this very short month.

I guess my biggest success (and luck) is that I'm once again able to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment