Friday, April 20, 2018

The Princess Bride - the book

Just a quick post to let you know that I finished reading the 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love & High Adventure by William Goldman. I might have mentioned earlier that I feel like I'm one of the last few people on the planet who has never seen the movie. (But how many have read the book?) I was so on the fence about the book after I finished it, I didn't even give it a rating on goodreads.com.

I did love the cleverness of a story within a story. About the illusion of this being an abridged version of a longer, earlier book by another author. The cleverness of Goldman's story about how his father had read the original to him when he was a child, sick with pneumonia and had his father only read him what he considered to be the good parts. There was other cleverness, other humor, but I'm not sure I would have stuck with it if I didn't want to finish the book before seeing the movie.

I'm looking forward to discussing this at Books & Beer Club this coming week. I might watch the movie over the weekend. I might wait until book club. But once I do, I'll come back and revisit this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment