Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult was a reread for me. I read it when it was initially released in 2014, after reading her prequel, Larger Than Life.

And how ironic that I could barely remember the details of this book, Leaving Time, in which a big theme is memory. I knew it was focused on elephants. And solving a murder. As I read, I remembered some other details. But I could not remember how the book ended. Was their resolution? Did they figure out "who done it?" All Jodi Picoult books have a twist ending, and I was pretty sure I would have remembered if this one had not. So I knew that reading the last chapter of the book before getting towards the end would have left me more confused and feeling even more forgetful!

I'm glad I did reread, though, as I got so much more out of the book club discussion than I would have had I not. Had I not, I think I would have sat there scratching my head!

I can't write a whole lot about the book without spoiling it so I won't say too much about the plot or the characters. The storyline is based on the murder of someone at an elephant sanctuary in New Hampshire. It's also got some paranormal aspects. Picoult did lots of research about both and it was evident in the reading. Unlike many of her books with realistic endings. many in my book club felt this one had an unbelievable ending. I'm not so sure how I feel about the ending.

Reading the book this time, I made connections to Lawrence Anthony's The Elephant Whisperer as well as Beloved by Toni Morrison. Suffice to say...

If you like Jodi Picoult, I'd recommend this book. If you've never read her, I'd recommend you try one of her books.




No comments:

Post a Comment