Tuesday, June 19, 2018

The fifth grade teacher in me...





You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you can't take the mindset of being in the classroom out of the teacher. It was only when I was searching for books to read on vacation that I came across Chelsea Clinton's children's picture book, She Persisted: 13 American Women who Changed the World. (There's another follow-up book called She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History.


The material covered material I taught my fifth grade classroom. I was visiting with my granddaughter who will be starting fifth grade in the fall. I thought I'd read the book and see if I felt it was something worthwhile for her to read.

I'm wondering what age child this book was really written for. It's way too sketchy to be of much value to a fifth grader. It's most appropriate as a book that a parent might read aloud to a younger child at home. Women have been changing the world for centuries.

The book is not at all political. It's nicely done. But as I said, it didn't have enough meat in it for it to be a book that I would have bought to have in my classroom library.

No comments:

Post a Comment