Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Self-help? Who? Me?


For years, I'd been hearing about bullet journals. I loved crossing things off on to do lists, I loved the idea of journaling. I love notebooks, papers, pens, etc. But I didn't fully understand the concept nor did I have the time to try to get it figured out. But apparently I put this book, Dot Juurnaling, A Practical Guide, on my list of books to be read sometime in 2017, when it was first published.

Fast forward to this past February. I was feeling overwhelmed. I had to-do lists strewn around the house, I was always scrambling to figure out what I was supposed to be doing when. I decided to revisit keeping a bullet journal.

I looked to take the bullet journal bible, The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future by Ryder Carroll out of the library. I was surprised that of the libraries I have access to, only one of them has the book, and the wait list is months long.

I looked for other library books. I found Miller's book on two library websites, got myself on the waitlist. Wow, seems lots of people are trying to get control of their lives. It was time for Plan B. I poured over the internet looking for explanations on how to get started with a bullet journal. I joined a Facebook group of supposed "beginners." Then I plunged right in. Sort of.

I went WalMart, checked out supplies. Couldn't find what I thought I needed. Did I really have any idea of what I needed? (NO!) Ordered from Amazon and two days later, with my supplies in place, in the middle of the month, in the middle of the week, I started my bullet journal.

I really had no idea when I started what I was getting into. But things are looking bright. I think I've found what I needed all along.

Is my life now together? Probably not. But I no longer lose sleep trying to keep multiple to do lists organized in my head. And while I used to love crossing things off on my to do lists, I now really, really love filling in the bullets that are written beside my to do list items. This way I can look back and see what I've actually gotten done. My next area of focus should probably be in better prioritizing things. But I am sleeping better and I do feel more organized. And it hasn't even been two months!

Since I'd already been keeping a bullet journal for 5 weeks when I got this book from the library, it was really just a confirmation that I'm on the right track. Some things I do the same as Miller. In other areas I've already developed my own style. I enjoyed seeing her sample journal entries. I can easily pour over shared entries on Pinterest for hours. Some are so artistic. Some are so minimal. Some of in between. I would have been disappointed if I'd spent the money (that I can use to buy more bullet journal supplies - did I tell you I'm an office supplies junkie?) purchasing this book. But it was a quick, light read and valuable at that.

What I really enjoyed reading in this book were little snippets about diaries and journals in history and all the quotes related to such that Miller threw in.

I'm still a newbie at keeping a bullet journal, but if you have any questions about what's involved, how to get started, etc., I'd be happy to give you my version of an answer.


I'm able to combine my new love of creating art
with keeping my bullet journal.

My favorite "practical" spread so far -
keeping track of our energy from the sun






No comments:

Post a Comment