Monday, October 28, 2019

October's genre is Horror/Thriller


I was late to the Ray Bradbury game. After reading enjoying Fahrenheit 451 and The Martian Chronicles in the past few years, I was happy when Books and Beer Club selected Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes for our October horror/thriller selection. I'm not a fan of horror or thrillers, but this one sounded interesting... and I liked the author.

Something Wicked is about a creepy carnival that comes to town in October. The centerpiece of the carnival is a carousel. When it goes forward, the rider ages rapidly. When the carousel goes backwards, the rider gets younger. Rapidly. For me, this novel was tedious, and the language which was very poetic and created wonderful images really did slow me down.

I'll keep this short. Horror and thrillers aren't my genres and as such, I didn't really enjoy reading this book. I did find one of the father's observations on aging interesting. And I liked the way the relationship between one of the boys and his father developed over the novel.

I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm looking forward to dressing up as The Illustrated Man for our costumed book club meeting this Wednesday evening. But as for a review or a recommendation, I'm not going to bore you.

No comments:

Post a Comment