Tuesday, January 14, 2020

The Good Earth


Pearl S. Buck's Pulitzer Prize winning novel, The Good Earth, is a classic I probably should have read in high school. Or in college. Or sometime before right now. Now that I've read it, I'm surprised that I never have read it before. Once again, I'm grateful for my Books and Beer Club because it has me reading classics that should be on the "read" list of anyone who calls themselves a serious reader.

Honestly, I had no idea what this novel was about. It really was about the good earth, about the importance of the land in the life of Wang Lung and his family. There were parts of the story that I loved. How the family really came together during the floods and droughts that threaten Wang Lung's livelihood. Other parts, about how Wang Lung searched for satisfaction in a tea house, not so much. But overall, I'm glad that I've now read this and look forward to discussing it with my book club in two weeks.

3 comments:

  1. Pearl S. Buck was my favourite author in my youth, I just loved her stories. Still do. Whilst The Good Earth is not necessarily my favourite book of hers, it is still such an important one today that shows how we all need this earth to live on. A great book. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we do all need the earth. And how we use it at different times of our lives and in history vary. I anticipate a good book club discussion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it will be quite interesting. Have you had it, yet?

      Delete