Sunday, December 13, 2020

Florence Adler Swims Forever


As soon as I finished reading Florence Adler Swims Forever by Rachel Beanland, I gave it four stars on goodreads.com. It's been a few days  and now, as I'm deciding what to write about this debut novel, I'm wondering why I gave it 4 stars. It's a story about family secrets and I'm not sure I am crazy about the resolution of some of the conflicts. Then, after thinking a little bit more, I realized that I gave Florence Adler Swims Forever 4 stars because I really enjoyed reading it. It's not one of those novels where the characters or plot will stick with me forever. But I just plain took pleasure in the time I spent reading.

The book is set in Atlantic City in 1934. Life for the Jews in Europe is becoming more and more difficult. Atlantic City is an enclave for Jews who had immigrated in an earlier wave.

Florence Adler, the title character, actually has a fairly minor role in the book. She drowns in the ocean off the coast of Atlantic City while training to swim the English Channel in the first or second chapter. What happens after she dies is the basis of the novel.

Florence's sister, Fanny, is hospitalized, trying to save a pregnancy after losing a baby the summer before. Their mother, Esther, thinks it's important to keep the news of Florence's death from Fanny. Members of the family are harboring their own secrets as well. 

Beanland had an interesting way of storytelling. She wrote a chapter from each character's point of view in each section of the novel. That was a very effective way to fully develop the characters.

The author's notes and interview at the end of the book were very interesting as well. Beanland had a great-great-aunt, Florence, who drowned similar to her character Florence. She's taken a family story and adapted it. And it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment