Sunday, January 17, 2021

Hamnet

 

Maggie O'Farrell's Hamnet showed up on a lot of "what to read in 2021" lists. So when my college friends suggested we all read the same book and Hamnet was proposed, I was all in.

Hamnet was the name of William Shakespeare's son who died, possibly of the plague, during childhood. O'Farrell went on the few details she available to her to create a story about what the loss of their son might have done to Shakespeare and his wife. The author definitely nailed how I would imagine it must feel as a mother to lose a child. She also focused on how a twin might feel after the loss of his or her twin.

The book was interesting. I thought there would be a few more details about what life might have been like during the plague in the late 1500s in England. I learned how the plague was transmitted and that theaters and other public places were closed, but not much else.

The story moved a little too slowly most of the time, although sometime it moved ahead at a good pace. I'm not sure I would have had the patience to stick with it if I didn't think I'd have someone to discuss it with. I think it will make a good discussion. There's lots to talk about, from author's purpose and writing style to plot points. I would definitely recommend this historical fiction novel for a book club. 

(And you don't have to be a Shakespeare fan to appreciate it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment