Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Golden Girl

I've read some Elin Hilderbrand but not much. All her books are set on Nantucket - and boy do I want to go to Nantucket right now. But this novel, Golden Girl, was different from the usual as while it was contemporary fiction, it had a big fantasy component.

Golden Girl is a story about divorced mother of 3 young adults, Vivi. Early on in the novel, she's killed in a hit and run accident. Yet Vivi in the great beyond is an active character in the book. She's got "a person" named Martha who was kind of like Clarence in the movie It's A Wonderful Life. I loved the chapters with deceased Vivi and Martha.

The novel is a bit of a mystery. It touches on coming of age issues for both Vivi and her children. Divorce is a theme. Novel writing is a theme. Friendship is a big huge theme. There's some romance. I'm sure there are themes that I'm missing. All the characters are extremely well developed. This was a very pleasant book to read.

I'm ignoring the whole Anne Frank controversy since I read the e-book after the publisher made some changes. I'm not even exactly sure where the changes might have occurred. 

No comments:

Post a Comment