Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Vacation Read 2: The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany

 

The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany was recommended as a great vacation read. And why not? Lori Nelson Spielman's novel is about an Italian family that's been cursed over the generations. The second-born daughter in each family is cursed in that she will never find love.

Emilia, a second-born daughter, is pretty content working as a baker at her grandfather's Brooklyn deli. (Yes, I loved that she lived and worked in Brooklyn.) Her younger cousin, Lucy, also a second-born daughter, is hungry for love. Lucy (and her mother) are sure that the curse is real.

Their great aunt, Poppy, also a second-born daughter, wants Emilia and Lucy to accompany her on a trip to Italy. She insists that she's going to meet the love of her life on the steps of the Ravello Cathedral on her eightieth birthday. In doing so, the curse will be broken. Her goal is to prove to Emilia and Lucy that it is possible to find love.

I had thought that The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany was going to similar to Our Italian Summer. I read that one in March. That novel which had me feeling no sense of Italy was about the relationships between a mother, a daughter, and a granddaughter. I thought  The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany was going to be more about the relationships between the great aunt and her two nieces than a romance. (I mean really... YIKES! Two romance novels in a row!) They weren't similar at all. And unlike Our Italian Summer, The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany gave me a much better feel for Italy. 

This novel had more depth than what I think of as a typical romance. I liked the characters (except for the grandmother... she reminded me of a witch from the start) and I was rooting for the Poppy, Emilia, and Lucy.

I probably enjoyed reading this one on vacation more than I might have enjoyed it reading it at home. But isn't that often the case?

No comments:

Post a Comment