Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Three More Months


I selected Three More Months by Sarah Echavarie as my free Amazon Prime First Read selection. I loved the idea of getting to spend three more months with a loved one who has died.

I wasn't crazy about the novel, though. Chloe is busy with work, keeps putting off a visit home. Then she gets the phone call. Her mother has been rushed to the hospital from work. Chloe rushes home, about a two hour drive from where she currently lives, but doesn't get there in time. Her mother is gone.

She and her brother are having difficulties coming to grips with the situation. Understandably so. Chloe goes  to bed in tears one night, wakes up the next morning, and her mother is still alive. Was her mother's death a bad dream? Maybe it was a wake-up call that she needs to spend more time with her mother. Was waking up to her mother alive a good dream? Was she living in a parallel universe? Whatever it is, it gives Chloe more time to monitor her mother's health and spend some time with her.

It rarely seemed like Chloe and her mom were enjoying each other's company during this time period. And while I found the dialogue refreshingly authentic, the characters in this novel spoke the way people I know might speak, the character development was pretty shallow. I finished this a couple of days ago and I already can't remember the brother's name. He was the least developed character which led me to think that none of his actions made any sense. I thought Three More Months was going to be a tear-jerker. I was disappointed that I just didn't care enough.

It was a free book. It was an easy fiction to read as I was also reading I Alone Can Fix It, preparing to pick up The Count of Monte Cristo. But would I recommend it? Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment