Tuesday, March 8, 2022

The Keeper of Lost Things

 


I had no preconceptions about Ruth Hogan's The Keeper of Lost Things. I'm not sure if that's why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

The novel tells two distinct stories and of course I was anxious to find out how the two stories would eventually come together. I mean, they'd have to come together at some point, right? 

Anthony Peardew is a keeper of lost things. His losing the first thing, an important thing, a medallion that his fiancee gave him to remember her by, on the day that she died wracked him forever. His approach to moving forward in life was to collect lost objects and writing short stories about them. As he nears the end of his life, though, he worries that he never made an effort to try to get the lost things back to the people who lost them. That effort involves Laura, his assistant. It includes Sunshine, his neighbor. And eventually involves his gardener, Freddie. 

The parallel story is about Boomer, a publisher, and his assistant Eunice. A quirky guy with an infatuated assistant and an interesting family.

I don't want to say anymore and risk spoiling the book for anyone who chooses to read it. But it was a clever story, enjoyable to read, and I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment