Saturday, November 19, 2022

City of a Thousand Gates: A Novel


I'm not even sure where to begin with when writing my review of City of a Thousand Gates: A Novel by Rebecca Sacks. Rather than struggle to summarize the novel while not giving anything away, I suggest you read the review from The Washington Post that does a far better job than I could ever do.

City of a Thousand Gates is the selection we will discuss at my January synagogue book club meeting. It's really a raw look at the Israeli-Palestinian crisis in Jerusalem - and, well, Israel. The lack of peace between the two groups is raw so why shouldn't the novel be also. To be totally upfront here, I love Israel. I loved my time spent in Israel and I would love to go back. I definitely understand why the Jews view Israel as the refuge that it has been for many over time. However, I am conflicted by the human rights violations that are part of the everyday lives of the Palestinians. Why can't everyone just get along? This novel gave me more perspective on why people can't even attempt to get along. The history between the Israelis and Palestinians have such a history of not getting along. 

This novel confirms my conflicted feelings. It helped me understand the viewpoints of the different groups. Those born in Israel, those who came to Israel after running away from a bad situation in Europe. New immigrants. Palestinians whose families have been there forever. Some of them living in the West Bank. Some of them living in East Jerusalem. So many different personalities and experiences and perceptions of the situation.

The contentious environment sits on top of the normal everyday life for everyone who lives there. The characters have their own lives, complete with regular issues like everyone else, and then the "war" going on around them which is ever present. I can't imagine living life like that.

I look forward to discussing with my group.



No comments:

Post a Comment