Monday, April 3, 2023

The Bookseller of Dachau

 

As is our tradition, my Jewish book club will be discussing a Holocaust novel in conjunction with the synagogue's observance of Yom HaShoah, Holocaust Remembrance Day. This year's selection is The Bookseller of Dachau by Shari J. Ryan.

Part typical Holocaust novel, part romance story, The Bookseller of Dachau is a novel full of hope. In fact, one of the characters whom we don't get to know well is named Runa which secret. Matilda is always looking for a sign that will give her hope, always associated with her secret.

The novel is told in two storylines. One is the story of Matilda and Hans during WWII in Dachau. The other is a contemporary story about American Grace and German Archie who meet in Dachau when Grace inherits property in Dachau. I especially loved the explanation that those who live in present-day Dachau as to why they are still there.

As with other books about the Holocaust that I've read recently, I can't help but make connections to what happened then to what is happening in our country now. That frightens me. I don't want to allow the hopefulness of this novel to get my guard down. I'm also amazed in one way, not surprised at all in another, that while atrocities were going on in the concentration camp at Dachau, "Life is moving about as if nothing out of the ordinary is happening." Yikes!

This should be a good discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment