Thursday, June 8, 2023

I'm Glad My Mom Died

I am not sure how I'm Glad My Mom Died ended up my "to be read" list or why I thought I might enjoy it. I had no idea who Jennette McCurdy is or why I'd want to read her memoir. But seeing the great reviews and all the recommendations on Renee's Reading Club, I requested the audiobook from the library and waited. At this point, I have a true preference for memoirs on audio read by the author.

I was quickly able to realize that Jennette McCurdy was a child star on Nickelodeon probably at a time when my kids might have just stopped watching Nickelodeon, but I had definitely heard of  iCarly, even if I'd never watched it.

Jennette McCurdy's mother wanted to be an actress but her parents forbade it. Instead, when Jennette is 6-years old, the mother puts literally all her energy into getting Jennette into acting. If she can't be a star, she wants her daughter to be a star. Talk about a stage mom!

And that's what this memoir is about. Jennette's difficult relationship with her mother. You know things are bad when at the very start of the memoir, the mother is on her deathbed and Jennette thinks she'll be able to spark some reaction from her mom when she tells her that she's at her mom's goal weight for her, 89 pounds. As an adult. Yikes!

I don't know that I would have had the patience to read this memoir, but it was captivating to listen to the author tell her story. The love she had for her mother is obvious, but the abuse piled upon her by this same mother is quite evident. Readers get it immediately. It took McCurdy a little bit longer to come to the realization herself.

I'd recommend this one conditionally. I would suggest, though, that if you're going to read it, listen to it instead.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment