Sunday, January 1, 2017

Fantasy mostly isn't my thing

I've always been mildly curious about The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Not enough to pick up either book on my own. And not enough to even consider watching the movie. Yes, there are some fantasy titles that I've enjoyed, but for the most part, I really don't enjoy these fantastical novels.

The Hobbit is no exception. It's the January selection for Books & Beer Club. I knew that former students of mine had read books from the Middle Earth series so I wasn't sure how "mature" The Hobbit would be. I'm still not sure who the intended audience was. In the beginning, the story was a little different than what I expected. In my head, it was a battle story. And that was true. But in the beginning it was a story about adventure and journeys. Hey, I like adventure and journeys!

Because I wasn't totally invested in the book, I had trouble keeping dwarves, elves, goblins and hobbits straight. And hey, what is a hobbit? Is that even a word?

I really like to finish book club books if at all possible. Especially if I'm planning on attending the meeting. So I plodded on. Towards the end, I kind of wanted to know where the plot was heading. I was invested enough that I needed to finish. I'm not sure of the order that these Middle Earth books were written. But The Hobbit had a very lame ending, perhaps because Lord of the Rings was already written?

If you like fantasy, you'll probably enjoy this classic. If you're like me, not a real fan of fantasy, wonder all your want but if you're not inclined to pick up the book on your own, don't feel like you have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment