Tuesday, August 29, 2017

2017 Reading Challenge - How Am I Doing?

According to goodreads.com, I've read 27 out of the 36 books that I hope to finish this year. They include one book that I dropped (Kazunomiya: Prisoner of Heaven, Japan, 1858) and they've doubled counted After You by Jojo Moyes. So, 25 out of 36 books. And I'm in the middle of reading two more, Beloved by Toni Morrison and Anne Tyler's The Accidental Tourist.

How am I doing with this 2017 Reading Challenge that I found online? Pretty well. Although I'm using several titles several times... which I'm sure isn't the intent of the challenge creator.

  • A book I read in school - A Wrinkle in Time
  • A book from my childhood - The Hobbit
       
    It was published in 1937 so I could have read it in my childhood had I wanted to!
  • A book published over 100 years ago -   Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson 
  • A book published in the last year - Hum If You Don't Know the Words
  • A non-fiction book - Hillbilly Elegy
  • A book written by a male author - My Reading Life
  • A book written by a female author - 1929
  • A book by someone who isn't a writer - When Breath Becomes Air
  • A book that became a film - A Wrinkle in Time
  • A book published in the 20th century - Everything that Rises Must Converge
  • A book set in my hometown/region - Best. State. Ever.
  • A book with someone's name in the title - LaRose
  • A book with a number in the title - nine, ten: A September 11 Story
  • A book someone else recommended to me - Lilac Girls
  • A book with over 500 pages - Barkskins
  • A book I can finish in a day - nine, ten: A September 11 Story; Golf Chronicles; Hum If You Don't Know the Words; Best. State. Ever.
  • A book with a one word title - 1929   That counts, right?
  • A memoir or journal - The Watchmaker's Daughter
  • A book written by someone younger than me - Commonwealth
  • A book set somewhere I'll be visiting this year - nine, ten: A September 11 Story
  • An award-winning book - The Girl Who Drank the Moon
  • A self-published book - Golf Chronicles
In order to truly, legitimately complete this challenge, I need to find - and read - the following books. I'm looking for suggestions.
  • A book that became a film
  • A book with a character with my first name
  • A book I can finish in a day
  • A previously banned book - I've got that one covered as I'm reading Beloved for banned books month at Books & Beer Club
  • A book translated from another language
  • A book that will improve a specific area of my life
  • A book set somewhere I'll be visiting this year
  • An award winning book
  • A self-published book      
Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Update: I probably should have taken the time yesterday to check and see which of the books I've read have won awards. Not surprisingly, there were several. With many more being nominees. Here is a list of the award winning books that I've read and what awards each one won.

The Girl Who Drank the Moon - Newberry Medal (2017)
An Echo in the Bone - WABWAHA Romance Tournament for Best Novel with Romantic Elements/Crossover (2010)
The Hobbit - Keith Barker Millennium Book Award (1997); Books I Loved Best Yearly Awards for Older Readers (1997); Mythopoeic Scholarship Award for Inklings Studies (1990)
After You - Woman & Home Reader's Choice Award for Book that Made Me Cry (2016)
LaRose - National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction (2016)
Hood - Stonewall Book Award for Literature (1997)
Everything that Rises Must Converge - National Book Award Finalist for Fiction (1966)

I really wondered about the Woman & Home Reader's Choice Award for Book that Made Me Cry as cited on goodreads.com, especially since the apostrophe in "reader's" seemed to be in the wrong place. Shouldn't it be readers'? I looked it up and it is, indeed, an award given out by a magazine based in the United Kingdom. FYI, on their  website, they don't use any apostrophe. Of my award-winning books, I most liked The Girl Who Drank the Moon which made me happy since when I was teaching I tried to keep up with all the latest Newberry Medal winners.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment