Sunday, August 20, 2017

Kitchen renovation

In my dream, this is what my kitchen looks like! In reality, my kitchen consists of 3 empty blank walls. A hollow space. It sure does make the kitchen look larger than it looked with the old cabinets and appliances in place.

Dust is everywhere. I wake up early to let the contractors into the house and after the massive task of cleaning up after dinner (dishes and utensils in the sewing room, paper goods in the living room, utility sink in the laundry room, and trash in either the garage or the office, there's not a whole lot of time left for reading.

And yet I'm juggling three books at the moment.

I'm nearly finished with Everything That Rises Must Converge. What a crazy collection of short stories by Southern writer, Flannery O'Connor. I really look forward to finishing that one up and writing my review of it. That's the August title for Books & Beer Club. (What I'm really looking forward to about Books & Beer Club this month is having my 28-year old daughter, the one who gives me book recommendations, there with me at the meeting.)

I'm really struggling with Toni Morrison's Beloved. I've read novels and memoirs about slavery. For some reason, this novel is much more gut wrenching and it's a good thing that I'm reading in short spurts because that's all I can really handle of that book at a time. (At the moment it's expired off my iPad and I'm waiting to be able to download it again.) Beloved is the September Books & Beer Club title.

Finally, I just started reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalinithi. I'm at the very beginning and Kalinithi's writing style is very easy to engage with. Just praying that reading about someone dying of cancer doesn't become too difficult for me as I watched several of my most dear relatives lose their fights with cancer all too recently. My community book club will be discussing When Breath Becomes Air in October. In September we'll be discussing Barkskins by Annie Proulx. I'm really looking forward to that discussion.

7:30 will come around awfully quickly tomorrow morning. If I get to bed now, maybe I can read 15 minutes of something before my eyes can no longer stay open.

No comments:

Post a Comment