Thursday, October 26, 2017

We May Not Finish the Book... but we always finish the beer

Tonight was a first. Not only did I not finish Pet Sematary, I didn't ever start it! Yet I went to the meeting and drank the beer.

I've read some Stephen King (Carrie, The Shining, and 11/22/63). I was in college when I read Carrie and The Shining. My reading preferences were different. I loved 11/22/63. But then again, I really enjoy speculative (historical) fiction. When Books & Beer started tossing around Stephen King novels for tonight's meeting, I hoped they'd pick a good one. Pet Sematary didn't sound like something I'd enjoy but I did plan to at least start it.

Came home after the meeting where it was selected and tried to request the e-book from any of the libraries I have access to. Hard to believe that only one of the libraries owns the e-book. I went to request the print book from my local library. They don't own it. I put in the request for the e-book and decided then and there that if I got the book, I'd try to read it. If I didn't get the book, I wouldn't worry about it.I didn't get the book.

I was one of only two at the meeting who hadn't read the book. I probably should have read a summary about the book. I'd only read a little blurb explaining the spelling of the title. I had no clue what anyone was talking about. If there's a next time, I suppose I should at least read a synopsis. I sat quietly, taking it all in. I asked one question and one question only. Did anyone have any idea why the book was so difficult to find? A few people had different thoughts on that so it wasn't a totally stupid question.

I'll be curious to see when I come to the top of the e-book list and receive notification that the book is available for downloading. Otherwise, I'm ready to move on to next month's title, The Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment