Monday, June 17, 2019

Meet Me at the Museum

I picked up Anne Youngson's Meet Me at the Museum as I was waiting for several books to  come in from the library. I enjoyed it much more than I expected.

When Tina was a child, a famous researcher dedicates a book to Tina and her classmates. Now an older adult, Tina writes a letter to the author, assuming he's no longer alive and not really expecting a response. Anders, the current curator of the exhibit Tina writes about, responds to her letter. And that's how a friendship begins.

I'm pretty sure by now you know that I really enjoy epistolary novels. This one was much more wonderful than many others I've read of late. Anne Youngson's style reminded me of the lovely feeling of meeting a new friend through letter writing, the process of transforming a pen pal into a close and trusted friend. It definitely helped that both Tina and Anders are about my age. Both Tina and Anders are at the point in life where they want to figure out what their lives are all about. I can relate to that, too.

The book was so engaging that I waited until after I was finished with it to research the Tollund Man, something I'd never even heard of before.

This was a wonderful book for me. I heartily recommend this to anyone who loves novels that are based on a letter writing relationship. If reading letters isn't your thing, this book might not be for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment