Monday, June 17, 2019

Where the Crawdads Sing

I was so disappointed when I realized that I'd still be out of town when my community book club discussed Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. I started reading when I thought I might be back home. This is a book with so much to discuss.

But how to describe this richly layered novel? It's a coming of age story. It's a novel about life - and nature - in the marshes of North Carolina. It's a murder mystery.

I'm not a mystery lover but that aspect of the story did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel. Even if I strongly suspected "who done it" long before it was disclosed. My heart broke for Kya, as a small child and then as a young woman.

Owens reinforces that prejudice is not just based on race. And that as many awful, terrible people there are in this world, there are also a few really good ones. She also reminds us that being educated isn't just about going to school. It's about being open to learning in whatever manner you are able.

I'd highly recommend this book. I've been told that the book club discussion was great. Sorry I missed it!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for leaving your link and visiting my my review.

    I can imagine how disappointed you were when you couldn't participate in the talk, I would have felt just the same.

    I felt for Kya. I often had the same experience as a child and later one as a woman in a foreign country, it's so hard. And she had nobody to support her, I always had a family.

    Anyway, it's nice that so many people liked the book. It spoke to many of us.

    ReplyDelete