Thursday, August 8, 2019

There There

Tommy Orange's words are poetic and full of emotion. In snippets, I loved his writing. But as the whole, I was troubled by it.

There There is a dark novel about the urban Native American experience. It might be particular to Oakland, California - where it takes place - but I don't think so. It's about individuals with disabilities, physical ailments, addictions, lack of connections. It's about people who are tethered to their past and to those who are completely untethered. The plot is raw.

At the beginning of this debut novel, it seems as though it's simply a collection of short stories. It took awhile for the stories to intersect, to move the plot towards something happening.

As a result of Orange's writing style and the construction of the novel, I had a hard time keeping track of all the different characters in the book. Maybe had I taken notes, I would have been able to keep them straight. By having them just be a (literal) mess of mostly young men, I found the ending of the novel very confusing. The ending was intended to be unsettling, and it was.

In the interview with the author at the end of the book, he talks about how he ultimately decided to write a sequel. I wonder if that will clarify things.

This was a book for community book club. Unfortunately, it's another book club meeting that I won't be able to attend. I think this is the type of book that I'd like a little bit better after speaking to others about it.

Postscript: Maybe I'm glad I missed this book club meeting. I've heard from several people about how the meeting fell apart when the ugliness of racism reared its head. I thought there was so much to discuss here... about the book. I'm so sad to hear that a small minority wouldn't let go of their disparaging of "those people." I'm both shocked and sad... and a little bit angry.

No comments:

Post a Comment