Thursday, November 14, 2019

Annie's Life in Lists

It's been far too long since I read a middle grade chapter book! I must have requested this novel, Annie's Life in Lists by Kristin Mahoney, from the library after reading a recommendation, a review or something about it somewhere. One day, I got an email from the library saying it was checked out. I read it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The plot of Annie's Life in Lists is really similar to the plot of a middle grade chapter book that I wrote... but then never did anything with. Annie's family moves from Brooklyn, NY to upstate New York after her father gets a new job. In my draft, my main character - whose name I can't even remember - moves from suburban New Jersey to rural central Florida. Both stories are about adjusting to new lives, leaving friends behind, making new friends.

What makes Kristin Mahoney's novel unique is that it's totally written in lists. Annie is incredibly observant and has an amazing memory, but she keeps her life in order by writing lists.

This is certainly a book that any middle grade reader will enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment