Tuesday, November 26, 2019

The Screwtape Lettters

November's genre in Books & Beer Club is inspirational. The group selected The Screwtape Letters, the classic masterpiece of C.S. Lewis. It's a satirical look at religion and the afterlife. I didn't appreciate the humor and I didn't find this book at all inspirational!

I started reading the book and it just slogged on and on. Then I decided to listen to it, thinking it would be easier to get through it. It was easier as I didn't have to pay close attention. I heard the main ideas and let the rest of the words just roll over me. I know the idea of the book, I know how it ends, and I'm prepared to discuss. I really am curious to find out if the others found the book inspirational. How? And why? I don't think a book club meeting will change my opinion of this book, but I want to understand why others seem to view it so favorably.

My husband, the non-reader, listened to the last hour or two of the novel in a long car ride. He seemed more engaged than I was. And he asked when the book was written (1942) since so much of it seemed current to him. I guess questions of religion's intersection with government existed forever and will continue to exist as long as both governments and religions exist.

I'm not a fan of this book. I gave it two stars on goodreads where it has a 4.22 overall raiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment