Wednesday, February 5, 2020

An American Marriage

Shortly after An American Marriage was published, I happened to catch Tayari Jones being interviewed on the radio. Her observations on the life of black men in America was thoughtful, as was most of her interview. I mentally added this to my list of books to read. It was available at the library last week. I gobbled it up.

The story was sort of basic, the plot followed a mostly expected (although not totally predictable) course. But I really wanted to see and understand the finer details of how Jones took the story from point A to point B.

Yes, marriage was the main focus of the story. But this novel was about so much more than marriage. It was a story about fathers and sons, fathers and daughters, mothers and daughters, mothers and sons and about friendship. It was about life paths. How do we get to where we're going? Who helps us along the way?

It doesn't appear as though my community book club is going to choose this as a book to read, but this would make one awesome book to have a conversation about. There's so much meat to this story. I highly recommend. And if you do read it and want to chat about it, give me a holler!

No comments:

Post a Comment