Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Elm Creek Quilts #21

When I first discovered Jennifer Chiaverini's first Elm Creek Quilts novel, The Quilter's Apprentice, back in 1999, I devoured it. I anxiously awaited each subsequent entry in the series. As I was browsing in December, I saw that there was a new addition to the series, The Christmas Boutique, and got myself on the waitlist at the library.

Chiaverini said that she wrote the book because so many people said they missed the stories of the quilters. But the book didn't really deliver. The storyline was about a Christmas boutique that needed to get relocated to the manor when the church where it was to be held got flooded. Otherwise, there was nothing new in this story. It was really a rehashing of bits and pieces that had been in other books. So in that way, it was very disappointing. It was also a lot more tell than show.

Much was left hanging at the end of this book. How will Matt choose between Sarah and his father? What's going on with Summer? Are Anna and Jeremy a couple? I guess this leaves room for book #22?

No comments:

Post a Comment