Friday, June 26, 2020

Circe

Circe by Madeline Miller is a book selection for my community book club. It's the book we'll be discussing next month. It was the only book for that book club that I hadn't even started.  I hadn't even requested it from the library until the members selected that for next month at our June Zoom meeting. I'm not a fan of mythology, but others who are not a fan of mythology have raved about it.

Apparently Circe is a famous mythological goddess. Her father is Helios, her mother is Perses. The names sounded familiar but I knew nothing about them. In fact, Icarus, who was in this novel, was the only character I was even remotely familiar with.

I didn't love this novel. And thank heavens I read it on the kindle app so I was able to just look up a character's name as I was reading. That helped a lot. Had I read a hardcover book, I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of it.

What did intrigue me was the way Miller seemed to seamlessly weave together the stories of gods, demi-gods and mortals. I'm anxious to discuss the book, to find out if they are combined together in actual mythology.

It was also a novel about a woman's struggle to fit in. About motherhood. About friendship. About feeling like you belong. That aspect I found most engaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment