Wednesday, June 10, 2020

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman

The Marrying of Chani Kaufman by Eve Harris got very mixed reviews on goodreads.com. After reading it, I totally see where the differing reviews make sense. I was in the camp that really liked this novel about two Orthodox women. One, Chani, a young woman just beginning her married life, and the other, Rivka, an older woman contemplating her own married life.

I think what really drew me into this book was that I was able to relate to the Rivka character. Rivka, previously known as Rebecca, spent her gap year between high school and university in Israel which is where she met her husband, Chaim. I spent the second semester of my junior year of college as an overseas student at Tel Aviv University. I'd be lying if I said I never wondered from what my life might have been like had I fallen in love with an Israeli - or a religious Jew - while studying in Israel. Rebecca feel in love with Chaim and that completely changed her life path. She was in Israel just a few short years after I was. Could my life have been anything like hers? That's the thought that kept popping into my mind as I read this novel.

I was totally okay with the ending of the book, but I do wish that the Rivka's parents had played into the storyline in some way. What did they think of her marriage to Chaim? What did they think of her becoming an observant Jew, the wife of a rabbi? That's my only real criticism of this novel.

This novel isn't for everyone, but if you enjoy reading books about the observant Jewish community, you might enjoy this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment