Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Summer of '69

I've always enjoyed Elin Hilderbrand novels when I'm in the mood for something lighter to read. This one, Summer of '69, was no different. It was a nice, quick, easy summer read.

What was nice about this novel for me is that I was close in age to one of the main characters, Jessie, during the summer of 1969. At first I wrote THE main character, but I think that's because I was reading it from the perspective of a girl on the cusp of being a teen during that time. Unlike Jessie, I was the oldest in my family with just one younger sibling. That just meant that some of the things that Jessie's family experienced during that summer were things I observed in other families, but not my own.

This novel touches upon Vietnam, Woodstock, the walk on the moon, women's liberation, Ted Kennedy and Mary Jo Kopechne, anti-semitism and probably some other issues that I can't remember right now. It's important to note that these are issues that are merely touched upon. They are the backdrop of the story which I believe was Hilderbrand's intention. Reviews by readers older than I am have stated that lots in this novel isn't historically correct. that they remember things differently. I was too young to have strong recollections but the feeling of 1969 is definitely evoked. I'll state it again in different words. This is just a novel about a family going through some tough times during the summer of 1969.

While I did enjoy reading this, I was disappointed by the ending. It just sort of ended, leaving too much up in the air. But that didn't diminish the escape I got while reading this. Elin Hilderbrand, if you're reading this, a short epilogue would have sufficed.

No comments:

Post a Comment