Thursday, July 16, 2020

Too Much and Never Enough

By the time I read Mary L. Trump's portrait of her uncle, Donald, Too Much and Never Enough, two days after it's publication date, most of the really juicy parts had been released through the media. I was still anxious to read this book, but for much more personal reasons than for the more seemingly popular reasons.

Donald Trump reminds me a of a person in my life and I guess I was really curious to see how much of his story would be relatable to the history of the person he reminds me of. Thankfully, there were a lot of parts that made me nod my head, but that was about it. I do wonder if I found this book more believable than the average reader, simply because I do have this experience.

It was interesting to read how the members of the Trump family fell into the roles they held from an early age until now. The book makes me curious about many of the members of the family.

I grew up in Brooklyn so was familiar with the Trump family early on. This gave me a little bit more history than I previously had. I was also interested to learn that Fred Trump grew up in Woodhaven, Queens as I had a great aunt, married to a German Jew, living in Woodhaven, Queens. Was it a German neighborhood?

The question that remains is why she really felt it was necessary to come out with this book at this particular moment in time and why she never spoke out about her worries about his presidency until now. She tries to address that, but if there was anything missing in the book, that's what it is.

This was a quick, easy read. Nothing earth shattering but interesting nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment