Thursday, October 22, 2020

Melania and Me

 

I gave Stephanie Winston Wolkoff's memoir tell-all, Melania and Me: The Rise and Fall of My Friendship with the First Lady 3 stars on goodreads. It didn't give me much insight into Melania. She is pretty much the shallow person that I thought she might be. But when I read this a story of an uneven friendship that eventually exploded, that's where it held some interest to me.

Unlike Wolkoff, I was in a friendship where I gave much more than I got. Not nearly as extreme or high-profile as this situation. Plus I never felt as used as Wolkoff, nor was I thrown under the bus like Wolkoff. But I gave more than I got. And eventually I was forced to walk away from the friendship. 

Most of the "juicy" bits about Melania had already been shared on TV so I really didn't need to read them here. I also felt my eyes glaze over as Wolkoff went into the finer details of some of the inaugural stuff. I really didn't care then, I don't care now, and I doubt that I will ever care.

If you're curious, it's a pretty quick read. But that's about it.

5 comments:

  1. Your friendship story reminds me of one I went through myself. You can do a lot for somebody without getting anything back but at one point you have to realize that they only used you. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my case, I didn't so much feel used as I felt that I wasn't getting the benefit of having a good friend. In April 2014, I told my (former) friend that I needed a break. That until she was prepared to be the kind of friend that I needed (and I was very clear on what that meant), I didn't want to hear from her. I really expected to hear from her within the year. But here it is, more than six years later, and I haven't heard from her at all.

    In the case of this author and Melania, I don't believe there will be or should be any second chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is, of course, the main loss but in hindsight, I felt very used. She dropped me the minute I was of no use for her anymore and that makes me think she never liked me but only used my helpfulness. That hurts even more because I feel I never had her as a friend.

      I'll send you an e-mail about that.

      Anyway, I doubt I'll read a book about Melania, I've read books by Hilary and Michelle who I both consider great ladies but this one ... well, nuff said, I guess.

      Delete
    2. Good thinking. I still haven't read the Hilary Clinton Book, but the Michelle Obama remains a favorite. Will respond to your email over the weekend.

      Delete
    3. No rush. I'm never the fastest.

      I've read two books by Hilary. Living History and What Happened. Both are great books.

      Delete