Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Ordinary Grace

I discovered Ordinary Grace while scrolling through the books available at the library last week. I recognized the name William Kent Krueger as being the author of This Tender Land, a much talked about novel these days, one that I haven't (yet?) read. Next I checked the reviews on goodreads.com. They seemed fabulous. Having nothing else to read, I checked this novel out of the library and began to read.

I was quickly caught up in the summer story of brothers, 13-year old Frankie Drum and  his younger brother, Jake.

It was the summer of 1961. Their father, Nathan, has been a minister in the southern Minnesota town of New Bremen, the hometown of their mother, Ruth. There's a lot of personal history in this small town.

The summer of 1961 is a summer of tragedy for the Drum family and for the people of New Bremen. Each person's faith is tested numerous times over the summer. As such, this is a book about faith. It's also a mystery, a genre I don't typically enjoy. But in this case the mystery was secondary.

For a book full of heartache, this was a pleasant book to lose oneself in.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment