Friday, February 11, 2022

All Boys Aren't Blue

All Boys Aren't Blue: A Memoir Manifesto by George M. Johnson is about a boy who felt he didn't fit in who become a young man trying to figure out who he really is. I picked it up as part of the Velshi Banned Book Club, not really sure what to expect. 

It's not a book written for me, but I could certainly appreciate the heart and soul he puts into to creating a... hmm... not sure what the word would be. It's not a guide book. But it is a book to offer guidance and comfort to others going through a similar crisis of self that Johnson went through. His story is about a queer Black boy, but it would work for anyone questioning his or her sexuality.

Which I suppose is the reason why this book has been banned. Why this very much needed book has been banned. People, it's not a "how to" book. But I can imagine reading George's story might make a kid questioning where they fit in realize that others have gone through what they've gone through. They are not alone.

Johnson was truly blessed to come from such a loving, accepting family. I was pleased that he knew that. And I wish that for everyone.

I have my DVR set to record Velshi tomorrow morning. I really want to hear what the author has to say.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment