Saturday, February 5, 2022

Count the Ways

I'm not even sure how I heard about Count the Ways or what I'd heard about it. But it was available at the library while I was waiting for some of my requests to come through so picked it up. And was hooked.

I haven't read much of Joyce Maynard fan in the past, but Count the Ways really spoke to me. It's the story of a couple who has 3 children, face tragedy, get divorced, face other adversities and keep moving forward. Its story was quite different from my own. Thank goodness I haven't faced the adversity that Eleanor and Cam, our fictional couple, has faced.

This story of family weaves from the 1970s to the present day full of references to what was going on at the time - the draft, the early computer age, the Challenger explosion, the AIDS epidemic, to name a few - and that really struck me as well. I enjoyed the look back in time.

All the characters in this novel are flawed, but in a way that makes them more authentic and more relatable. It is a novel of sadness and of joy. Just like real life. The couple, the kids, the neighbors, the teammates, the babysitter. They were all so real to me.

Kids needing space to become their authentic selves, shared custody, a daughter not speaking to a mother. The way the wives of the softball team connected to each other in the bleachers without really becoming true friends. Best friends. Good neighbors.

The line that screamed to me from the many lines in the novel was Ursula had been Eleanor's easiest child, until she became the hardest. I just loved that line.

The beauty of this novel was the way the story unfolded so I can't share any more than this without giving too much away. If you like family dramas, you should enjoy this one.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment