Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Lessons in Chemistry

In Lessons in Chemistry, Bonnie Garmus tackles a huge societal problem in a fairly light-hearted way. It's the story of chemist Elizabeth Zott, chemist, taking place in the late 1950s to early 1960s when most doors were closed to women chemists - or scientists - or most professions that weren't teachers, nurses or secretaries.

While working at Hastings Research Institute, Zott meets Calvin Evans, an extremely brilliant chemist. Evans seems to be the only one to appreciate how brilliant Zott is. The chemistry between them is something else. People seeing them together were sickened by how perfectly well-suited they are for each other.

One thing leads to another, Zott gets fired from Hastings and an opportunity to host a cooking show "Supper at Six" pretty much falls in her lap. It's referred to as a cooking show, but to Zott, it's a show teaching chemistry - and teaching women that the status quo isn't working for most. Daring women to take "a moment for yourself," advice from her neighbor, Harriet.

It was Harriet who told me to use that moment to reconnect with my own needs, to identify my true direction, to recommit

I'm trying to think of which book I can relate this one to. Maybe The Rosie Project? I'm just not sure. If you can think of which book you'd connect this with, I'd love for you to let me know. Three books I've read this year that have a connection (specifically women's roles that involve cooking specifically) are:
                        The Secret History of Home Economics
                        Miss Eliza's English Kitchen
                        The Kitchen Front

The book has important messages to communicate about women's roles and opportunities, single parenthood, and afternoon television in the 1960s. Family is not necessarily those who gave birth to you.

Some of the book was a little far-fetched. I'm talking about you, Six Thirty, Zott's beloved dog. Towards the middle of the novel, I kind of wanted things to hurry up. And then they did. And the end of the novel flowed beautifully.

I'd recommend this for an easy read about how far women have come since the early 60s and which will have you thinking seriously about how much farther we still have to go.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment