Thursday, September 29, 2022

One Last Stop

My daughter recommended Casey McQuiston's Red, White & Royal Blue quite a few times, but I never got around to reading it. When I read about One Last Stop, this novel intrigued me. A novel set on the Q-line of the NYC subway. In Brooklyn, no less. It sounded kind of sort of time travel-ly which is a type of fantasy that I thoroughly enjoy.

It took me awhile to get into One Last Stop but by the end, I took such great pleasure in reading this book. Of course I loved the setting. I also loved the characters, and not necessarily the character development. That was okay. I loved the development of the relationships between and amongst the different characters in the novel. I'm not just talking romantic relationships. (This is a romance novel. The main couple would be August and Jane.)  I really loved watching the friendships deepen.

August is bumbling her way through college. She just doesn't feel like she fits. She's finally at Brooklyn College, close to graduating, when she meets alluring Jane on the subway on her first day of school. After madly crushing on Jane for months, she realizes there's something up with her and sets about to help her. In the process, she starts needing other people, something she hasn't ever needed to do at any other point in her life.

Other than sexuality, there are no grand themes here. Instead there are lots of reminders of what the 70s were like and what things are like now. Once I got into the story, I thoroughly enjoyed reading One Last Stop. I highly recommend this one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment