Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Old Neighborhood

After reading two heavy, heavy books about racism, I was at a loss over what to read next. (I think my library hold list is the longest it's ever been, but nothing is coming available.) My first thought was to look for a rom-com. I started scanning the online catalog and I just liked the sound of title, The Old Neighborhood. I wasn't paying very close attention so I didn't even realize that Avery Corman was also the author of Kramer vs. Kramer.

The Old Neighborhood is the story about Stevie, growing up in the Bronx in the 1940s. The first part of the novel reads much more like a memoir than a novel. The first half of the novel also really just sets the scene for the major part of the story which comes in the second half of this fairly short book. The first half is kind of "ordinary" for lack of a better word. But when you finish the book, you realize how truly impactful it is.

Stevie is kind of aimless as a teen. His parents don't have the best relationship. He's a great athlete, but his parents never go watch him play sports. It seems like the only guy who takes an interest in Stevie and his life is Sam, the bookie.

I don't want to give anything away, but this is a novel about reinventing yourself several times. It's about self-discovery.

I'm not sure if the novel appealed to me so much because I'm Jewish, because I'm from New York City, because I did have a little stint going back to the old neighborhood to live. I found a lot to like in this novel and I'll be thinking about it for some time to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment