Thursday, February 16, 2023

Winter's Reckoning

A member of my Books & Beer Club has a friend who wrote a book, she's going to be in Florida in February. "How about if we pick this for our February book?" I didn't hold out much hope, but sure, I love to meet with authors and so I was totally game. Even better when I was able to get an e-book of Winter's Reckoning: A Novel by Adele Holmes from the library.

Wow! What a book. It never would have crossed my radar if not for this book group. It's a novel about the power of women during a time when the races were still being separated in nearly every single way. Jim Crow was very much alive in Jamesville.

Maddie, a Yankee, is a healer in a dying southern Appalachian town in the early 1900s. Her husband who was always accepting of Maddie's open mindedness, unlike most of the rest of the town. Maddie is training two other young women to become healers, too: Ren Morgan, a black woman, and her granddaughter, Hannah. Most of the town can't stand the close friendship between Maddie and Ren.

A new church reverend comes to town. He preaches about the importance of the separation of the races. The KKK which had been quiet in Jamesville comes back full force, threatening Maddie, Ren, and many others who fall within their orbits.

The book was engaging from start to finish. It was a very powerful story that I've recommended on Renee's Reading Club on Facebook. I was so looking forward to meeting Adele Holmes and discussing the novel. Life happens. I have the opportunity to visit my daughter out of town on book club night. I can't pass up a chance to see my daughter and to stay in her new house. Still, I'm sad that I won't be at my next Books & Beer Club meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment