Saturday, March 18, 2023

Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting

I loved Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting by Clare Pooley. I listened to the audiobook while walking, but it really would be a great book to listen to while commuting. I think it would be laugh out loud funny if you were reading it on a train. Hey, you might make some friends on the commute.

Iona Iverson is a 57-year old "agony aunt" (don't tell her I called her that) who commutes into London every morning, sitting on the same train, in the same car, in the same seat, at the same table. With her dog, Lulu.

On a fateful day, a man Iona calls "Smart-But-Sexist-Manspreader" (you know the type) chokes on a grape sitting right across from her. This event causes Iona to break some of her commuting rules. She reaches out to others trying to find someone to help the choking man. One thing leads to another and within a few weeks, Iona has her own commuting family.


The characters are well-developed and I enjoyed watching the relationships amongst those in the group evolve. I appreciated that Iona is an older woman trying to stay relevant in the modern, working world.

No comments:

Post a Comment