Monday, July 31, 2023

Childhood's End

Let me say it again. Science fiction is really not my genre. At all! When Books & Beer was deciding what book to read for our science fiction month, I had nothing to contribute and said I'd just go with whatever the majority wanted. At the meeting, only the person who suggested this title liked the book. At all. (One other member, who missed the meeting, said she liked it, too.)

I guess Arthur C. Clarke is a big name in science fiction. He wrote 2001: A Space Odyssey which I never read, but I did see the movie. And probably didn't enjoy. Childhood's End was a novel he wrote in the 1950s so I suppose this might also be considered a classic?

Alien invaders bring peace to the Earth. Not everyone is happy with that. But even bigger remains the question of what is the agenda of these aliens. 

By the time of our book club meeting, I still had another 34 pages left to read in the book. I still hadn't gotten up to the point of the novel where the title makes sense. Because I had to purchase the novel, it wasn't available at my libraries, I came home from the meeting and finished the book. Still didn't like it.

My guess is if you're a science fiction fan is that you've already read this. And if you're not a science fiction fan, just skip it.


No comments:

Post a Comment