Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Golden Hills

Golden Hills by Jennifer Weiner is a short story that I picked up through Amazon's Prime First Reads program a month or two ago. I'm not a big fan of short stories as they always make me wanting more. Golden Hills was handy to have around the other night when I'd finished one book and messed up my next library loan.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from this short story, but it didn't deliver. Ida Berkowitz is running for Senate in New York. In October, she gets a heads up that a nemesis, Marissa,  from her youth is participating in a press conference related to Ida's past. Could this be trouble? What's up with this October surprise? Marissa is married to a wealthy conservative donor and is being hosted by a conservative commentator. 

Ida and Marissa met at "fat camp" when they were 16-years old. Ida was the daughter of a hardworking single mom who didn't have much to spare and Marissa was the girl who had everything. Yet somehow the two become friends. Weiner makes you wonder what could have possible happened to tear them apart. What's the scandal?

There was too much thrown into this short little story. Politics was unnecessary. Why were the girls at "fat camp"? And why was Ida gay? This was a short story about friendship, worry, and forgiveness. It was pleasant enough to read and it fit the purpose I needed it for.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment